June 10, 2010

Dia libre

My natural Type A tendencies have been put to rest! I have a free day. I was to have lunch with my longtime buddy Tom, but employer needs are depriving him of the time. We'll have dinner after my happy hour tomorrow, which means I won't go for an art walk in Tremont with my hosts. But then, I'm not going to a concert with them tonight either for lack of ticket.
This is sort of the way life is in Mexico. Except work demands would not be permitted to get in the way of a 1pm lunch. Otherwise, it's a go with the flow life there.
So I have a day to leisurely shop, get my driver's license renewed and if it gets warm enough, catch the rays I missed in Mexico getting ready to be here.
Yesterday afternoon, after FedEx showed up with the computer they have at the terminal since June 1, Bryan took me to Enterprise to get the car that was to have been delivered. Not a perfect world.
I drove around amazed at the feel of power brakes and power steering, and not finding a couple friends home, stopped at an Irish joint next to my old acupuncturist's office. What a find!
Jimmy O'Neill's Tavern on Lee Rd. has a fusion menu. I topped a steak salad, yes I am done studying for labs, with a chocolate beet cake. OMG it was good. It goes something like this. But they make theirs in a bundt pan, slice, dip in chocolate and serve slice microwaved with the melting chocolate ready to mix with beaten and frozen creme fraiche.
It was yummy. But I won't be having more. I will go back to my high fiber smoothies and life of greens! Even on a free day, which will best be spent shopping around for my prescriptions and getting my driver's license renewed.
To my friends in Mexico: It's not as great here as you think. It's not worth leaving the la vida normal behind. Si hay betabel y chocalate? Hace un pastel!

2 comments:

MD in Texas said...

So how long will you be gone? Looks like we might miss you this trip. We arrive on June 26th and leave on July 4th.

Enjoy the power brakes and steering! :-)

drgeo said...

You can't blog because of parental and family controls, eh? Your family seems very strict. I suppose it's about time we all cleaned up our language!