March 8, 2012

Shopping in Cancun

I had an appointment with my lawyer in Cancun yesterday, so it was a perfect time to spend a couple hours shopping for things we still can't get on the island despite Chedraui's attention to us.
At Walmart, I picked up frozen portabella stuffed ravioli. It's the same brand that Chedraui brings to the island, but only in a four cheeses stuffing variety. Note to self to bug them to death about this. Also, frozen bagels. Ditto to Chedraui.
Also in Walmart's freezer section, frozen soy beans, edamame, an Oriental kitchen staple. Last time, they were pre-shelled. But yesterday, with the husks on, perfect for steaming and eating out of hand.
Walmart's drug store also had a couple of meds I need that no one on the island stocks. One is Wellbutrin, an anti depressant that works on the dopamine receptors. When I take it, I walk with much more easy and grace.
Then it was on to Home Depot for big planters to replace sun rotted ones on the rooftop patio. While there, I ran into a heave duty 4" fan, perfect for the kitchen counter, sold as a desk fan, and some lettuce seeds described as French. The picture looks like Boston lettuce.
Next door is Soriana. They had Colman's mustard powder, which I immediately crossed off my Ohio shopping list, and a Mexican Black Forest-style ham 150 gram package. I opted not to get instant Irish oats, which seemed oxymoronic stupid, but nearby was a nice Pinot Noir for 100 pesos. No, Chedraui doesn't stock it!
Soriana's greens were the best I'd seen in a long while, so I picked up a head of romaine. And for the Punta dog, 5 pounds of chicken hearts, already nearly done cooking with rice and frozen vegetables. I suppose the chickens Chedraui cuts and packs don't have hearts. Only feet and some livers!
So while Isla Mujeres' grocery needs are being met much better now with Chedraui, there are lapses. Some, like chicken gizzards, can't be explained! But that's the heart of the matter.
And after spending $120US in the three stores, Carlos took me to Mauricio Mendoza, my lawyer who lives in the Home Depot and Soriana neighborhood. Migracion had requested more tax documents. Fun in paradise!

1 comment:

Mary Crabtree said...

I met Nastia when I was sea glass hunting - down by the church. She was such a sweet lady. We had a very nice conversation - although some difficulty in communicating. I gave her a sea glass necklace that I had made. I saw her several times at the same location and enjoyed our visits. She told me about her marriage plans. I hope things work out for her! It was nice to get an update. Thanks!